Thursday, March 12, 2015

Unexpected Blessings

A bit has happened since the last time I posted and I'm not quite sure where to start, except that I have experienced many unexpected blessing. Looking at all that has gone on in the past few weeks it is hard to find the blessings sometimes but a dear friend of my reminded me that even though this is hard right now, my trial is a blessing and it is blessing the lives around me. 

The day after I got my PICC line removed, I started vomiting again and has progressively gotten worse. On Monday the 2nd I had an appointment with my GI doctor and he stated that he wanted get me in for an endoscopy to move my J tube out of my stomach and back into my small intestines. On Wednesday I went in for my 7th endoscopy and they were able to put the tube where it was supposed to be. Dr. Kawa (my GI doctor) said that every thing looked good and he didn't see any cause for concern and my anastimosis (where they made the connections in the intestines) looked good. So he ordered for me to have an Upper GI series with a small bowel follow through completed. 


I was able to get the test scheduled on the following Friday. 

I ended up spending a few hours in this room as it takes time for the barium that I swallowed to travel through the intestines. 

This is the fluoroscopy machine that is used to complete the Upper GI series. 

It started off with me up right and they lowered the table into a laying position. I was there for about 3.5 hours and the whole time I was nauseous and vomiting. The barium is like swallowing vanilla flavored toothpaste. It is so thick and heavy! After the test was over, the PA talked to me about what had been going on. He said that although the small intestines looked good my stomach seamed to be holding onto the barium. For being there 3+ hours I had more barium then there should be retained in the stomach and he suggested that my GI doctor order a gastric emptying study. 

At this point, I was glad that they found something but my stomach not emptying could mean Gastroparisis which doesn't have a cure and could be something that I could be dealing with the rest of my life. The thought of having to deal with this for the rest of my life is something that is daunting but I know that we will get through this. I have been so very blessed to far and I know that what ever the future has in store for me, we'll be able to handle it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment