Thursday, March 19, 2015

A plan with holes

On Tuesday I met with my surgeon to discuss the situation at hand. The last time I say Dr. Glasgow, they removed my picc line and we were talking about the taking the GJ tube out at this appointment. Going from that, to being fully dependent on my tube in three weeks was a bit frustrating to say the least. Dr. Glasgow seams to be a little perplexed as to why I'm having problems especially after having 3 good weeks. 

Dr Glasgow reviewed the images from my Upper GI series and he said that he didn't think that my stomach was emptying that slowly. He thought there could be a few things that may have happened after the 2nd surgery that could have caused my stomach to be sleepy but he didn't think that they would be likely, as I'm not presenting with symptoms, except for the vomiting. An easy fix, he mentioned, would be if it was my GJ tube plugging my pyloric valve (the opening at the bottom of the stomach) and blocking the food from getting through. 

 However he does want to rule out anything that could be surgery related, so tomorrow I am scheduled to have CT scan done at 7:00 am. Way to early for my liking but that's when they could get me in. If the CT scan comes back normal then I will be scheduled to have a gastric emptying study done to see how my stomach is emptying. Dr Glasgow doesn't want to label me with Gastroparisis if he can help it. If my gastric emptying study comes back normal then I will be back to square one and will work with my GI doctors again. 

While I was there they did place what is called a Midline IV. This is shorter then a PICC and can only stay in my arm for 4 weeks tops. I will be back on IV fluids 3 times a week to help me stay hydrated and minimize having to go to the hospital. 

There is a lot up in the air right now and we are back to a point where we just don't know what is going on. I have had to really deal with the emotions of having to deal with this again after having hope that I would be able to put it behind me. Having the midline placed really made it hit home that I'm still sick. The reality has sunk in that I may have to deal with this for years to come and I am going to have to learn how to find a new normal, with a feeding tube, PICC line and vomiting if I eat anything. Ideally, tomorrow the CT scan will show something and we can fix this problem but I can't get my hopes up because history shows that most things come back normal. I'm praying for a fix but preparing for the long haul. 

No matter what the outcome is tomorrow, I know that I am blessed. I live in a time where I can have access to medical marvels to keep me alive. While my GJ tube is a pain, it is keeping me alive. I have good doctors who really do care about me and an amazing support system behind me. I'm blessed to know that I am not alone and there is happiness in my future, I just have to make sure to find it. 

1 comment:

  1. You are the toughest and bravest girl I know. I'll be praying for you! I'm sorry this has been so awful, but your attitude and perspective are inspiring! Love you, Shauna!

    ReplyDelete