Sunday, January 25, 2015

The 25th

Mornings in the hospital always start a lot earlier then I think they should. You would think by this hospital stay I would be used to it but no, I don't think it is something you just get used to. Have I learned the pattern and learned how to deal with it, yes to a point but still, the minuet you go home, you are back on your own time schedule and you don't have people poking and prodding you every 4 hours even in the dead of night, and you can actually get a full nights sleep (well unless you are so unwell that you can't sleep well or you have kiddos waking you up). 

Rant aside, the resident Doctor came in this morning to check to make sure everything was going alright. I hadn't had any narcotics for a while and he was impressed with my improvement. He didn't have much to say about the ice cream incident but he just suggested I listen to my body and take it slow. He then checked my "on-Q ball" which delivers a numbing agent to block the incision site to help with the pain. This thing has been great because while I have had a lot of pain with my intestines, the incision hasn't really hurt at all. The resident Doctor said that the ball might last for another day or so and if it wasn't out by the time I was ready to go home, then I could just remove it. 

Being Sunday, and being in Utah, I had the opportunity to attend a little sacrament meeting being held in the hospital chapel room. Sean brought Maia up to attend with me and it was so good to see both of them but I hadn't seen Maia since going into the hospital. She was all dressed up and ready to go and was pretty snuggly, which was good because I don't think I could have handled a rambunctious kiddo.




Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay the whole time because I needed to get back to a bathroom. One of the things about surgery, especially abdominal surgery, they monitor your bowl movements pretty closely and the nurses get excited when you start passing gas and especially when you go poo the first time after surgery. Lets just say yesterday, you may have needed a gas mask to come into my room. I would apologize to the nurses but they said that passing gas on this floor was a great thing. 



Maia and Sean didn't stay for too long as Maia was getting pretty tired and it was time for her to go home for her nap. Luckily I would get to see her again later on that evening. 

After they left, I got a wonderful surprise visit from my brother Scott. He drove down here just to see me and say hi. It was very very sweet of him and it brought tears to my eyes that he would take the time to come see me. We had a very nice conversation that was too short as he had to drive back to Rexburge that night. 

Right after he left, I got another suprise visit from my GI dr, Dr. Kawa. I was really shocked to see him there. He came in to check in on me and my progress. It was way above and beyond what I expected but it was so good to update him and thank him for never giving up on his diagnosis for me. It would have been so easy for him to have pushed it aside and looked for something else but he stuck to his guns and I got the help I needed. 

At the end of that Visit, Sean's parents, Maia, Kassia and Grandma, came to visit.it was nice to see them and to see the girls again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment