Sunday, January 25, 2015

The 24th

Today has been an interesting on for sure, as it started off so well and ended not as well. In the morning I was able to get up and move around quite a bit, I went for a rather long walk with the physical therapy gal and then was able to take a shower. They had to wrap me all up so I wouldn't get my PICC line wet or the nerve block wet. They also instructed me, as much s possible, to not get the incision wet either. I'm glad the shower had a shower head that was removable/a wand or it would have been a lot harder to keep everything from not getting too wet. It was worth the effort as I felt disgusting but it really did tire me out. 

I have been seen by quite a few residents while I have been here which hasn't been too bad because they have been coming in one by one and not in droves and I don't feel like I have to tell my story a thousand times for them to know what is going on. They already know, which has been really nice. Any way the one I saw today he is in his last year of residency for general surgery, he will then spend another year doing a fellowship for plastic surgery. It was kind of funny because he asked me what connection we had with Ohio State, since the day before Sean had worn an Ohio State shirt. I told him that is were Sean is doing his PHD and the resident proceeded to tell me that is where he went for Medical School. It has been funny all the little connection back to Ohio state/Ohio that have been made since being here in the hospital. Anyway this resident ended up taking the dressing off my incision and giving me instructions on how to care for it. He also said that my diet would be changed to a full liquid diet to see how I tolerated thicker liquids.

For noon, they brought me in a tray that had pudding, icecream, apple juice, veggie broth and milk on it. I was exited to try something a little different then the apple juice i had been drinking so it was suggested that I try the ice cream first as it would melt first. So I did and it was the biggest mistake ever. It put me in so much pain, it brought tears to my eyes. I was doubled over and they ended up having to give me some more medicine to help bring the pain level back down. It was pretty miserable I have to say. It ended up keeping me down for a good portion of the day. Let's just say, it will be a long time before I will want ice cream again. 

Luckily, I did end up having a good distraction in the afternoon. Sean came in around noon ish and then his mom came to visit, and she brought Kassia with her. I have missed my girls for sure but it hits harder once you see them again. Kassia had fallen asleep on the way here so she was a little groggy coming in. It's only been two days since I have seen here but I swear she has grown in that time. She was very sweet and it really did brighten my day to have her and Kathy here. 


Since I really shouldn't hold her, we would put her between my legs and let her sit or lay down there, She has started to do this really cute thing were she sucks on her bottom lip. As you can see in the picture. 

She was laying down and I was trying to get my camera ready to take a picture of her and this is what i saw when I looked into the camera. She didn't want to roll over and look, just tipped her head back.

Once they left, I was able to get a little bit of sleep, while Sean worked on his class work. He stayed with me till about 9 which was really nice. We ended up going for a walk, which may have not been the wisest thing as I was in a bit of pain, but then we came back and finished watching Men in Black 3. It was really nice to just be able to spend some time with Sean. Once he left though the pain medicine Kicked in and I was out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment