Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome (SMAS)

I have waited for quite a while to write about this as I have been playing a yoyo game for quite a while as to whether or not I had been correctly diagnosed. Back in November, when I was in the hospital, I had an MRI done and it showed that I have something that is called Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome (SMAS) and this syndrome is what has been causing my vomiting for the past 18 months. 

Normally the Superior Mesenteric Artery (SMA), which comes off of the main abdominal aorta, curves over the  top of the duodenum (the first part of the small intestines) and supplies the blood for the small intestines. Usually there is a fat pad that acts as a buffer and keeps the SMA from touching the duodenum, and in most people, their is a distance of 15-20mm between the SMA and the Aorta. When I had the MRI it showed that distance between my SMA and Aorta was only 5.0mm indicating that the fat pad between the two had been lost, resulting in the SMA laying on top of the duodenum, which causes a blockage. I don't have a full blockage but it has definitely impaired the ability of food and water to be processed, resulting in things backing up into my stomach and since it can't go down it has to go up. 

This image is of the stomach anatomy and how it should look:


The image below is a diagram of what the SMA should look like and what it looks like if you have SMAS: 


If you would like more detailed information about SMA syndrome here is a great Wikipedia article that describes it in more depth: 
There are only a couple of treatment options for this syndrome and they include trying to gain weight or surgery. Since November 10, I have been receiving all of my nutrition through my GJ tube and unfortunately I haven't really gained any weight and it seams like my symptoms are starting to get a bit worse. Through much research, talking with many doctors, and prayer, we have made the tough decision to have surgery to help alleviate the problem. Unfortunately I will always have this syndrome but with the surgery, hopefully the symptoms will be able to go away and I will be able to eat food again with out it coming back up. 

The surgery that I will be having is called a Roux-en-y with a DJ and JJ anastomosis. This is a picture of what the surgery will look like:


What will happen is I will be having an open surgery where they will make about a 5 inch incision from my bellybutton up and then the surgeon will locate about 10 inches below the forth part of my duodenum, cut the Jejunum, then attach it to the top of the Duodenum. The cut portion of the jejunum is then attached back into the lower portion of the jejunum. This will require a 5 day stay in the hospital and at least 4-6 weeks recovery.  

Right now I am scheduled for surgery on Jaunary 22, at the University of Utah. We will probalby be staying in Utah for the next couple of months while I heal and then we will be back in Ohio. 

We are still doing some research about the surgery and trying to decide if this type of surgery is going to best solve my problem. There is no guarantee that this will totally solve my problem and I have to understand that I could go through all of this and still be vomiting. It is a scary thought but I have go forward with faith as most thing with medicine don't come with a guarantee. We will be meeting with the surgeon on the 20th to hash out all the details but I feel like my surgeon really has my best interest in mind. The first time he met with me, he took over a hour and a half to really listen and understand my problem. He then gave me my otpions and then also took the time ask other GI doctors at the University hospital if they would reveiw my case. Once he informed me that the GI doctors didn't feel there was anything else it could be, SMAS was officially my diagnosis. 

I have thought a lot about sharing this and there has always been something stopping me. Why wouldn't I want the support of those around me? I have had a lot of support from those who know but I have not shared this willing. I think it may have to do with the fact that I don't want people to know that I have struggles, I don't like the attention, and it is hard to admit that I'm sick and need help. When you look at facebook, everyones lives seams either perfect or aweful and there isn't a lot in between. To what you would see on my social media, it would seam like our lives are perfect and I need appologize for that. My life is not perfect and I'm exposing my weakness. It drives me crazy when someone givesa little bit of information as to a struggle in their life and then you don't hear anything else. So you are left to wonder what is going on with the person you care about. I get it now though, it is hard to show your vulnerable side. 

I will try harder to keep my blog up todate and to post more on facebook the real side of our life. The good the bad, the ugly and the in between because I know that there are others out there that are struggling in silences and I have learned that I am not alone. I have an amazing support group and people that care about me and I need to reciprocate with information. 

I would like to sincerly thank everyone that does know and for all the help that I have been given and for all the prayers and fasting that has been done on my behalf. I have grown up hearing people say they can feel the prayers that have been said for them but I never really thought it was possible. I was completely wrong. I have felt strength and have seen the blessings that have been direct answers to prayers. I know that my Father in Heaven is aware of my needs and that he loves me more then I recognize. This challenge is to help me grow and I have felt his love throughout this whole journey. I would not be where I am right now with my beliefs and with out all the support I have recieved.

The next few months should be very interesting and I am looking forward to getting better and back to life. My life will never look like it did before all of this started but that is ok because I am not the same person I was 18 months ago, hopefully I'm better now then I was then. 




No comments:

Post a Comment